This section will give you advice on who can apply, how to apply and where you can find additional help and advice. Please use the information to help you through the application process.

Apply For A Grant

The easiest way for an individual to apply is via the Trust’s online application form

Apply Now »

Need fuel debt/money advice?

The British Gas Energy Trust provides grant funding to organisations offering specialist fuel debt/money advice services. Find you nearest funded advice organisation here.

BGET Funded Advice Organisations »


What information does the Trust need me to give?

We strongly advise you seek money / debt advice before applying to the Trust in order to increase your chance of a successful application.

When filling in the application form, it is very important that you give as much information as possible about your circumstances including why you have had difficulty paying for your energy bills or why you are in difficulties with other household bills and costs. It is recommended all applicants seek appropriate money advice before applying to the Trust.

How will the Trust deal with my application?

When we receive your online application, we will send you an online acknowledgement. If we find there is information missing or we need more information from you, we will write to you to ask for this.

We treat all applications in the strictest confidence. If you are asking for help with your gas/electricity debts owed to British Gas, we will contact the British Gas so that they can confirm how much you owe.

How will I know if I have been successful?

If we are able to help you with your gas/electricity debts owed to British Gas, a payment will be made directly to the company. We will write to you to let you know that we have made the payment.

If we are unable to help you, we will also write to you to tell you this.

Can I find out why my application was unsuccessful?

The Trust is usually unable to tell you why your application was unsuccessful.

The most common reason is that the Trust recieves many more applcatiosn for help than the Trust's budget can afford to award, the Trust has only limited funds.

If you are in debt to your energy supplier, you should contact them either directly or through an advice agency e.g. your Local Citizens Advice office. An advice agency can help you to set up a payment plan to manage your debts.

Can I apply to the Trust again?

If you receive an award from the Trust, you can apply again to the Trust after two years.

If you do not receive an award from the Trust you can reapply if your circumstances change.